The Salvation Army is all about giving HOPE to people and the Clarenville Salvation Army quite active within Clarenville and the surrounding communities. They have a food bank that takes in Clarenville plus all surrounding areas as far west as Charlottetown and as far East as Little Hearts Ease. They also have a Thrift store that offers people clothing at a cheap rate.
The Clarenville Salvation Army is also equipped to handle emergencies such as storms like Igor and provide meals, shelter and a listening hear to many people that are effected by such storms.
Dan Allen spends much of his time volunteering at the Salvation Army. Some of the work he does is:
- Treasurer for The Salvation Army Clarenville Corps including SA Thrift Store and Men’s Fellowship Group.
- Chairman of Salvation Army Financial Committee for Corps fund raising projects.
- Coordinator of Salvation Army Usher & Greeters Committee in addition to performing overhead projection program services.
- A Local Committee member of National Red Shield Campaign.
- Member of Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Committee.
- Past representative for Salvation Army on Clarenville Town Emergency Disaster Committee.
- Volunteer in collections of food donations for Clarenville & Area Family Services Food Bank in addition to participating in toy donation for annual happy tree. Mr. Allen takes food to people that cannot get out to pick it up themselves.
- Engaged in annual Christmas Hamper Program administration for Clarenville and surrounding communities. This year they provided 300 Christmas Hampers to the less fortunate in our area.
- Liaison between Clarenville Salvation Army Corps, Community Groups, Businesses and Government Agencies.
When Mr. Allen is not performing duties with the Salvation Army, he is helping someone in the Community such as Senior’s who need assistance with snow clearing.